Friday, February 10, 2012

PRICKLY PEAR CACTUS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES








The two young men above came to see me yesterday morning with the purpose of obtaining the prickly pear cactus. The boys, Adib and Tso Koon (I think that is how his name is spelt) are students at the Sabak Bernam Polytechnic. For their final project, they are researching the feasibility of producing fuel (if I am not mistaken) from this particular species of cactus.
As a matter of fact, Adib had been trying to source for this cactus for sometime and he googled the Li Na Herbs blog that I also maintain. Luckily for the boys, the prickly pear cactus can be found in the cactus garden of the college. Adib contacted me through email and told me that he wanted to buy the cactus from me. I told him that the plant was not for sale but I would gladly give it to him if he were to come to the college. 
In the above pictures, you can see Puan Kamariah and me with the two boys at the Cactus Garden. They were hesitant to take more of the cactus as they were afraid that not much of the plant would be left. I assured them that the more they take, the more will grow back.
I am so glad that the boys managed to get the cactus for their research. They told me that they were even contemplating on importing the Prickly Pear Cactus from China in order to carry out their project. So here is one happy ending!

1 comment:

ben said...

The cactus looks big and growing well. If their research can help produce fuel, it would be excellent news for everyone. Glad to know ur blog help connect people. I hope to be able to do the same with mine.

Ben (Gardening Pleasures)