Monday, May 25, 2009

ALLAMANDA: MEDICINE OR POISON?

My mum and I
My Aunt Linda and my mum
The allamanda flowers


The allamanda plant in my house in Ipoh is growing well. There are many flowers and it is such a pretty sight. See pictures of my mum, aunt and I posing next to it. Credit must be given to my mum who looks after it well. You should see the other plants in her garden which are her pride and joy.
Today I would like to introduce you to the allamanda plant which can be found growing in many places in Malaysian.
Allamanda cathartica

Family: Apocynaceae
Other Common Names: Golden Trumpet, Yellow Bell, Buttercup flower, Akar Chempaka Hutan, Bunga Akar Kuning, Alamanda Kuning
Region of Origin: Brazil, South America

The species that we have in our school is Allamanda cathartica which is notable for its medicinal properties. All parts of the plant contain allamandin, a toxic iridoid lactone. The leaves, roots and flowers may be used in the preparation of a powerful cathartic (hence the name); the milky sap is also known to possess antibacterial and possibly anticancer properties. It is also used to treat malaria.
As with other members of the Apocynaceae, such as the Frangipani, all parts of the plant including its milky sap are poisonous. The allamanda is not known as a medicinal plant in Malaysia. But the leaves, made into an infusion, are used in traditional medicine in South America as a purgative and vapour produced by boiling the leaves is said to be a remedy for coughs.
Some gardeners who are exposed to the sap might develop rashes, itch, and blisters.

No comments: