I bought some mangosteens (Garcinia mangostana) or manggis from the wet market recently and they do not come cheap - RM7.00 for a kilogramme. Mind you the rind itself would already make up more than half the weight. In Malaysia, people would usually eat mangosteens to cool down after eating durians which is said to be heaty. Here is some information about the benefits of eating mangosteens.
Mangosteen as Herbal Medicine
Recent studies shows that the rind (skin) has anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-tumor properties. Initial results also reveals that mangosteen have anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory medicinal properties. The active therapeutic compound found in mangosteen is called "Xanthones".Xanthones provides many times more anti-oxidants than Vitamin C & E. Xanthones have been receiving much attention lately from researchers and scientist for its medicinal value. It appears to benefit every organ of the body. The whole mangosteen fruit is the single, best source of Xanthones.The strong anti-oxidant properties of the mangosteen fruit fights free radicals in the body. This helps strengthen the immune system, promote joint and cartilage function, helps support a strong respiratory system and helps maintain good health.
Medicinal Benefits of Mangosteen:
• Anti-tumor & anti-cancer
• Anti-inflammatory properties
• Prevents & treats infections
• For treatment of diarrhoea, cystitis, eczema, gleet and gonorrhoea.
• Anti-proliferative activity against human breast adenocarcinoma cell line.
• Anti-micro bacterial activity• Inhibitory activity against histamine release
Uses of Mangosteen:
• Dried and powdered mangosteen rind (skin) is given to cure dysentery. The powder can be made into a cream and applied to skin to treat eczema and other skin disorders.
• A decoction of the rind (boil in water) is cure for gonorrhoea, cystitis, diarrhoea and gleet.
• A decoction of the whole fruit, bark and leaves of the mangosteen tree can also be used.
• Eat the flesh of the mangosteen fruit for overall good health.