Family: N.O. Rosaceae
Traditional Medicinal Uses
For medicinal purposes all parts of the plants are used.
- In Armenian folk medicinal practice strawberry was used for better appetite, and to stabilize digestion. The leave decoction is used against menstrual bleedings, ulcer, gastritis, anemia, hypertonic and heart diseases, and atherosclerosis.
- In Germany the leaves are used against gallstone, neural and spleen diseases, gastritis, bronchial asthma, sleeplessness, haemorrhoids, bad mouth smell, etc.
- In a number of countries strawberry is used against colitis, jaundice, ulcers, rachitis and other diseases.
- In scientific medicine it is proven the diuretic, resolvent qualities which are effective to cure gallstone and gastritis. The plant is also proven to have antibiotic and fitocidic qualities.
- Strawberry is also widely used in cosmetics to get rid of pimples, spots from the face. In these cases strawberry juice is mixed with egg yolk (1 tea-spoon of juice to 1 egg yolk) and put on the face.
These are folk remedies and are no guarantee is made as to either their effectiveness, or their safety.