Saturday, March 20, 2010

INDIAN JUJUBE (ZIZIPHUS MAURITANIA)








When I first bought this plant for my mum in 2004, the trader told me that it was called mini apple tree. At that time my knowledge of plants was very minimal and hence I took his word for it as the fruit looked like small green apples.
It was later that I found out that this plant is called Indian Jujube (Ziziphus mauritiana). My elders always keep telling me that we will never stop learning until the day we cross over to the other side. Hmm ... will we stop learning then? Anyway, this post is about the Indian jujube and not about the hereafter and so let's not digress.

Here is some information about the plant:

Common names: Indian jujube, Chinese date, Indian plum, Indian cherry, Malay jujube
Scientific name: Ziziphus mauritania

Medicinal Uses:
  • The fruits are applied on cuts and ulcers; are employed in pulmonary ailments and fevers; and, mixed with salt and chili peppers, are given in indigestion and biliousness.

  • The dried ripe fruit is a mild laxative.

  • The seeds are sedative and are taken, sometimes with buttermilk, to halt nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pains in pregnancy. They check diarrhea, and are poulticed on wounds. Mixed with oil, they are rubbed on rheumatic areas.

  • The leaves are applied as poultices and are helpful in liver troubles, asthma and fever and, together with catechu, are administered when an astringent is needed, as on wounds.

  • The bitter, astringent bark decoction is taken to halt diarrhea and dysentery and relieve gingivitis. The bark paste is applied on sores.

  • The root is purgative. A root decoction is given as a febrifuge, taenicide and emmenagogue, and the powdered root is dusted on wounds. Juice of the root bark is said to alleviate gout and rheumatism. Strong doses of the bark or root may be toxic. An infusion of the flowers serves as an eye lotion.

Source: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/indian_jujube

4 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

My brother in Ipoh also has a miniature apple tree. The fruits are much smaller than yours, perhaps like a 5cent coin and they are red in colour. I wonder if it is also Indian Jujube. The plant seller also told us that it was a mini-apple tree.

Miss Cheah said...

Yup. His is also Indian Jujube.

nswong said...

Scientific name: Ziziphus mauritania < Wrong spelling
Should be:
Ziziphus mauritiana

petite nyonya said...

I think I could have purchased this plant as the man also told me it's apple tree. Can it be eaten & how does the fruits taste like?